Terms and Conditions of Hire
- Bookings: Your boat is not booked until the completed Booking Form, together with a deposit of 25% (to the nearest £) of the total hire fee has been received by Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats and confirmed in writing.Once the deposit for a booking has been paid we will make changes if required, as available, however there will be a fee of £15 payable for each change.
- Balance of hire fee: The balance of the hire fee shall be paid not later than six weeks prior to the commencement of the hire period. Bookings made less than six weeks before travel should be accompanied by the full amount.
- Cancellation/Refunds: Should the hirer cancel the booking we shall, without legal obligation to do so, endeavour to re-book the boat. Should we be unsuccessful the hirer remains responsible for the balance of the hire fee. If the boat is re-booked a charge of 15% of the hire fee will be made in any event. The Company reserves the right to levy an administration charge of £50 for any alteration to a booking made by the hirer after it has issued a booking confirmation. It is suggested that hirers take out Cancellation Protection, or other similar protection, which ensures that monies are refundable in the unfortunate event of them being prevented from taking their holiday. In the event of the circumstances not being covered by Cancellation Protection the company will endeavour to rebook the boat for which an administration charge of 15% of the hire price will be levied. In the event of the deposits or balances being eligible for refund the Company will charge a fee depending on the date on which the Cancellation Notice is received. More than 56 days before the Start Date 40% of the hire price. 43-56 days 50% of the hire price. 29-42 days 70% of the hire price. 8-28 days 85% of the hire price and 7 days or less 100% of the hire price.
- Hirers: Bookings cannot be accepted from persons under 20 years of age. We reserve the right to refuse to hand over the boat to any person who in our opinion is not suitable to take charge. In this event all money will be refunded in full less 25% of the booking fee and the hirer shall have no further claim.
- Insurance: Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats insures the boat and equipment and the hirer’s liability to other parties. The policy does not cover personal accident or the hirer’s personal belongings and hirers are advised to make their own insurance arrangements.
- Hirer’s property: We regret that we cannot accept any liability for loss or damage to hirer’s property, baggage and motor cars, etc, however caused.
- Repairs to hire craft: These are the responsibility of Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats and shall not be arranged without our authority.
- Car keys: Hirer`s car keys will be left at The Old Barn and stored in a secure place until your collection.
- Booking period: Boats are normally booked from Saturday, at 1.30 ‘Chieftain’ and approximately 2.30pm ‘Conqueror’, returning no later than 10am the following Saturday.
- Handover: After a briefing and, if necessary, a short run where you will be taken through a lock the hirer (Designated Skipper) will be responsible for the safe operation of the boat, the security of its equipment and all crew members and their behavior (no walking on roof or down the sides of the boat on the gunwhales).
- Return of boats: Boats must be back at 10.00am on the final day of hire and vacated by 10.30am in a clean condition. Hirers are responsible for refuse disposal before vacating the boats. We reserve the right to make a charge if the boat is returned dirty or late.
- Hirer’s responsibility: The hirer is in complete charge of the boat and is responsible for its safe navigation. The only maintenance to be carried out is checking engine oil, lubricating stern tube and clearing weed hatches. Children are not permitted to handle the boat without supervision. The hirer shall at all times comply with the by-laws of the British Waterways Board or the appropriate Navigation Authority. The hirer is responsible for any claim made for loss of water or damage caused by improper use of lock paddles or apparatus and for any claim made for damage due to excessive speed or improper navigation. Boats may not cruise between the hours of sunset and sunrise without the prior consent of Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats. The hirer shall not enter tidal waters or tow other vessels without the prior consent Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats. No boat shall navigate under flood conditions. Firearms, Dinghies or Canoes will not be allowed on board under any circumstances. In the event of an accident the hirer must promptly notify Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats with the full details and names and addresses of witnesses. An accident form (on board) must be completed immediately in the case of personal injury. Do not admit liability under any circumstances.
- Delays or restrictions: Twyford Wharf Narrow Boats cannot be held liable for any delays or non fulfillment of bookings caused by breakdowns, unforeseen defects, obstructions, water shortage, repairs to damage to either our own boats or the waterways system. If unusual conditions arise we reserve the right to restrict the cruising area without notice. If we are unable to provide the boat booked, or a suitable alternative, we will refund all money paid in full and the hirer shall have no further claim.
- Brochure: All descriptions and diagrams are generally accurate, however, we cannot be held responsible for minor inaccuracies. Maps and plans may not be to scale.
- Damage Waiver (compulsory) The Damage Waiver Fee is £51.00. It is non-refundable and avoids the requirement for a damage deposit payment.
There are certain exclusions: – • Return of the boat late • Return of the boat in an unclean condition • Damage arising from negligence, malicious or intentional damage to the boat, its inventory, third party property, the canal and its structures. • Damage to the rudder, skeg or transmission due to contact with a lock sill • Excessive speeding in the boat – the limit is 4 m.p.h. In the event of the above, the Hirer will be liable for all additional costs incurred above and beyond the Damage Waiver payment.
- Pets. You are normally allowed to bring your cat or dog with you, but you must tell us at the time of making your booking. There will be an additional cleaning charge of £20.00.
PLEASE BRING YOUR PET BLANKET OR BASKET WITH YOU AS PETS ARE ONLY ALLOWED ON THE CLEAR UNDERSTANDING THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY THEY LIE ON THE BEDDING OR CHAIRS.
- Obeying the Rules of the Waterways. The Hirer agrees to comply with the following rules at all times for the Health & Safety of the persons on the boat and other persons and the boat and its property: – The boat may not tow nor may it be allowed to be towed by another craft, except under professional assistance in the event of an emergency. Not to cruise between sunset and sunrise. The boat is only equipped to cruise during daylight hours. To observe all speed limits. Not to race or to cruise at a speed which causes a wash, or disturbs or inconveniences other waterway users. Not to take nor allow to be carried on the boat, any dinghies, canoes, inflatable’s or bicycles without prior permission of the Company. Not to take nor allow to be carried on the boat any portable heaters, barbecues of any kind, vehicles, lighting equipment, TV Exemption. The company shall not be liable for any matters arising from any cause beyond the company’s reasonable control, or not due to the company’s negligence or wilful default including (without limitation) death or personal injury of Hirers their crew and passengers, loss or damage to property, non-fulfillment or interruption of the booking or breakdown delays, mechanical problems, defects, damage, restrictions or obstructions, repairs or damage to waterways, non availability of routes, navigational works, storms, floods, droughts, ice, or in respect of any consequential loss, damage, injury, expense or claim. sets, any electrical appliances (save razors), inflammable liquids or substances, gas cylinders, car batteries, firearms or any other items which might cause dangers or hazards.
- Exemption. The company shall not be liable for any matters arising from any cause beyond the company’s reasonable control, or not due to the company’s negligence or willful default including (without limitation) death or personal injury of Hirers their crew and passengers, loss or damage to property, non-fulfillment or interruption of the booking or breakdown delays, mechanical problems, defects, damage, restrictions or obstructions, repairs or damage to waterways, non availability of routes, navigational works, storms, floods, droughts, ice, or in respect of any consequential loss, damage, injury, expense or claim.